Monday, November 08, 2004

Doing it for the Kids

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You know, really, as much as I feel that everyone should be able to marry whomever they want, as much as I feel those who want to deny people the right to engage in same-sex marriages have every right to hold to their beliefs--no matter how hurtful and wrong I think they are (the work is all in the bringing them revelation and converting them to compassion)...using your kids as tools to your political agenda is just wrong--especially this political agenda. There's no way this girl is even in her double digits yet; what rational mind thinks it's in any way humane and righteous to have their young daughter holding forth with a poster denouncing sodomy. She can't know what sodomy even is yet (and if she does, child protective services should probably be a little more involved in that family).

I feel such sorrow for these little children, on every side, who are just inundated with their parents' propaganda and agendas. I think there's something fundamentally wrong with anyone who thinks indoctrinating a child into their own personal hatreds is a good thing.

One of the few things my mother did absolutely right was to leave me out of her agenda. She gave me the freedom to learn what I needed and wanted to learn WHEN I needed and wanted to learn it. I explored religion at my pace. I'm not saying there shouldn't be guidance--but guidance should really be the form of a good listening ear and a sensible ability to explain the meaning of things.

My son doesn't need to know what fisting is in order to know that his aunts Terry and Kathy love each other, nor does he need to know about sodomy in order to decide for himself if it's ok for them to love each other; and I sure as hell wouldn't parade him around with a sign saying "sodomy is groovy" (even though, well...ahem).

Teach your kids--don't brianwash them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Keep forgetting to post this here- there's a song from South Pacific, "You've got to be carefully taught"
------------------------------------
You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!
---------------------------------------

Pointing out that if you leave kids alone( as you and my folks did) then your kids *shock* might NOT learn who to hate and might therefor be as racist as their parents.

And thank you for that mental picture... Now if I ever meet Terry and Kathy... I'm going to end up being self conscious about shaking their hands. ;-)

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home