Thursday, May 26, 2005

My Movie?

Ok... I know that Star Wars fan will discuss from now til doomsday whether Lucas has the right to mess around with Star Wars IV- A New Hope. He was the creator, but we all feel that we sorta own Star Wars and want the Star Wars we grew up with...One can say it's more then Han shot first- as Greedo didn't draw for his gun.

HOWEVER...

That said The Godfather is NOT the Godfather without the level of violence it has. If you don't want to watch it because of the violence... Don't. There are other more friendly Italian American movies.

The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act (FECA) W. signed a couple of weeks ago seeks to fix things to help make films MORE family orientated. It allows good CHRISTIAN companies the right to edit movies, so that they can be good FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT


"This exception to copyright protection," said DGA spokesman Morgan Rumpf, "could have far-reaching implications that cannot fully be comprehended today -- allowing third-party editing companies to change the political content of a film, to revise the historical record, to profit from abridged versions of films, and even to make versions of films that focus on violent and sexually explicit content."


This disgusts me. I'm adult, I watch what I want and don't watch stuff that I think is too violent or has sexuality that I find offensive.
I have adult dvds, and even though I live alone, they are in my bedroom- away from my other dvds. If I had kids, I would put the dvds they could watch in one section and R rated slash movies I didn't want them to watch elsewhere. I would explain things to them...
I would NOT buy a movie edited by a religious nut job to make the movie 'safe' for my kids. I was allowed to see Jaws at like age 7, and I'm not a cannibal taking BITES out of people. My mom allowed me to read the 'adult' Heavy Metal and National Lampoon when I was 14 and I don't think I'm any more degenerate then any of my friends.
While all my parents worked, they took the time to explain things to me... what I was allowed to do, what I wasn't allowed to see and WHY.

I feel that editing the movie is WRONG, mainly on an artistic level, but also to the kids. If you clean everything up then they won't learn anything.
The world is NOT child friendly. No effort from the right wing will make it so... There will always be people who wish to prey on the young- and the best way to protect them is to explain it to the kids that while yes the Godfather is a wonderful movie, they're not old enough for it now but we can all watch Corky Romano.

That said I also think the Godfather is a work of ART, as are most movies. IF you don't like the vision the director came out with, don't buy it. I haven't bought the DVD version of Star Wars because Lucas edited it, it is not the piece of art I fell in love with. I don't think that anyone should be allowed to change a movie without the director's approval. It's HIS/HER name on the movie.
And that I think is one of the interesting things about people editing these movies... They always say 'it's for the kids'( ya know Kids shouldn't see R rated movies?) but I've yet to read a story with the Christian company saying "yeah we spoke to the director and he said it was ok.'

I guess they're afraid that EVEN IF the director said yes, he'd want some bribe money and that's not Christian.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sornie said...

Love the blog and agree with the stuff from every post I've seen so far.

As far as religious groups editing movies, fuck them, non-religious groups don't feel the need to edit the bible and make it more 'secular-friendly' so why should religious zealots do the same.

If they don't like it, don't watch it. If you want the movie in its edited form, watch network television.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

Thanx for the feedback.

Always appreciate it when somebody takes the time to comment to my stuff.

I do think it's funny you bring up tv, as I've seen several people who DEFEND this practice as pointing out that TV does it all the time- which was why I tried to point out the PAYING of the studio for edits. TV stations pay the studios for the right to show the movie- editied or not.
AND it's in Spielberg's contract that you can NOT edit Schindler's List. He didn't want anybody messing with his movie, which I respect.

But I agree- if you don't like potty mouth language... don't buy R rated movies.

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home