Friday, June 17, 2005

By the numbers...

So as mentioned, I now get the Al Franken show on Sundance and I realized it's easier/better to get my mad on by watching him then by Bill O'Rielly.

Because while I could get angry about what Bill says, it's only by listening to Al that I get mad about what Bill and Fox doesn't say.

Like the number 5 billion.

That's a big number. It's even bigger when you put a dollar sign in front of it.
so the figure becomes $5,000,000,000.

That's how much money is MISSING in Iraq. Yup- 5,000,000,000 that the U.S. has given to rebuild Iraq is gone, and we don't know where it went.

To put this in perspective- that's a tenth of what W. wants for education.
Or that's enough money so that Even, his three kids, their 6 kids, their 18 kids and their 54 kids wouldn't have to work a day in their lives.

5,000,000,000 missing. And congress isn't doing ANYTHING to find out 'where the money went'. I realize that compared to the 419.3 billion that the DoD is getting WITHOUT counting the money W. wants for Iraq and Afghanistan, maybe $5 billion isn't all that much... but again to the common man or business 5 billion is a HUGE amount of money. I mean if me and ALL my friends pool our money FOR OUR LIVES, I doubt we'd get to .5 billion.

This really gets my goat... and I wish Fox would cover it.
Oh and I thought another interesting way to look at that 5 billion. NASA is trying to get us to Mars with a budget of 16.5 billion.
-------------------------------------------
15

Fifteen is the number of senators who did NOT vote for the resolution apologizing for its failure to enact federal anti-lynching legislation.
It took me a bit of time to find the 15, but part of that is because Frist did NOT want a roll call, as he didn't want the no votes to go on record.

See 15 is also the number of REPUBLICANS who did NOT vote for the resolution apologizing for its failure to enact federal anti-lynching legislation.

So from the Macon Telegraph the 15:
Lamar Alexander, Tenn.; Robert Bennett, Utah; Than Cochran, Miss.; John Cornyn, Texas; Michael Crapo, Idaho; Michael Enzi, Wyo.; Chuck Grassley, Iowa; Judd Gregg, N.H.; Orrin Hatch, Utah; Trent Lott, Miss.; Lisa Murkowski, Alaska; Richard Shelby, Ala.; John Sununu, N.H.; Craig Thomas, Wyo.; and George Voinovich, Ohio.


Needless to say Mississippi was at the forefront of lynching and both of their senators voted NOT to sign this piece of legislation.
----

So again today's blog was brought to you by the numbers - 5 billion( amount of U.S. dollars missing from Iraq reconstruction) and 15( the republican senators who didn't want to apologize for lynching in the south)

[note when I spoke to two freinds on 6/17, they both put the Iraq missing money at EIGHT billion instead of five. I nodded but felt that since only ONE of the many googled sites put it at 8 and most said 5, I'd keep at five. HOWEVER I'm watching last night's Al Franken show and he put it at 8 billion. So while I'm keeping 5 billion above- I will allow that it could be up to 8 billion missing, and should you have a source that says 8 billion, I'd appreciate a link to it]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home