Friday, September 02, 2005

New Orleans.,...

Ok... I've been thinking about what happened in New Orleans...

I've got to admit that alot of my thoughts have been political. And I feel that the reason I've thought of it as politics is because- well I think the reasons that things are so bad there is because of politics.
Media Matters records how FEMA[ Federal Emergency Management Agency] was folded into Homeland Security. This marginalized FEMA and it's been mentioned in several places like the san francisco chronicle that "The Bush administration routinely provided less than half the money the Army Corps of Engineers requested for New Orleans flood prevention."

To be honest my second thought about New Orleans( after being sorry about the deaths involved), was 'what is this going to do to the national debt?' I mean we're already spending BILLIONS on Iraq. How much of that money could've been used to prevent this damage... or help with repairs? That thought lead to the idea that others I've read have already mentioned, which is if the National Guard soldiers were HERE instead of Iraq, they'd be able to help New Orleans and the surrounding areas. I say this as it's clear that after several days, the people in New Orleans don't have their basic human needs being meet.

The Mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, talks about things on this link

I found this interview on another blog and it just moved me. About two thirds of the way through... My mind just got blown away. The reporters mention that one of the problems with relief work might be the fact that the 'proper paperwork' hadn't been done- that the Mayor or Governor has to 'officially' declare Martial Law. The mayor points out a) he's already declared Martial Law and B) did Iraq fill out the 'proper paperwork' to get W. to spend billions over there.
He mentions that he feels that NOBODY should hold a press conference until New Orleans gets what it need. That he doesn't want to HEAR that 40,000 troops are on their way, he wants them to be THERE already.

And it makes me wonder how Congress and W. were able to move SOO fast to 'help' Teri Shivho but aren't matching that speed with the help for New Orleans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home