Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day

I went by Boston's City Hall for a possible job lead.
While I knew today was Veteran’s Day... I really didn't give any thought to what might be going on by City Hall. And indeed I felt pleasantly surprised.

Yes there were a bunch of soldiers in dress uniforms, but most of the crowd around the 'official' event were aged vets with sweatshirts saying 'impeach bush' and signs reading 'support the troops, bring them back' and the Kerry quote[ that got far too little airtime in the 2004 election] " 'How do you ask a soldier to be the last person to die for a lie?"

This made me proud. I stopped to talk to one of the vets that had an impeach bush t-shirt. I wanted him to know that 'younger' people were listening to him. I told him that I felt it was a darn shame that the media has let us down... When was the last time they mentioned how many Iraqis have died due to the war or mentioned the depleted uranium weapons the U.S. is using Iraq. He nodded, and shook his head and agreed with me.

I was happy to have chatted this man up. He said that he had been arrested with Cindy Sheehan in D.C. I told him that I was proud of what he and Cindy were doing. How I felt it was important to keep educating people on what the U.S. is doing in Iraq and how it's affecting the citizens of both nations.

I hoped that he left with as good a feeling as I did. While I don't think any soldiers will be coming back until next year; my current hope is that since it's an election year, with people like Cindy Sheehan and this man, perhaps the moderate republicans will start agreeing to bring back the troops for fear of losing their seats in '06.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home