Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Give Peace a Chance

We've all seen, heard or read a lot of talk lately comparing the current mess in Iraq to the Vietnam conflict. I'll ignore the discrepency in numbers for the body count (it's still early for us over there), there's something else that doesn't compare--and I think it should.

Organized protest.

I've seen war protestors first hand, standing on the street corners all along Main Street (really) all very organized and emotional and, well, civil. What we need is war protests that can stir up the populace, that inspire others to join in, or cause the war mongerers enough fear to bring out the guards. But it's just not happening. We need sit ins and walk outs; we need people to take to the streets; we need civil unrest before we start to compare this to Vietnam. And then maybe people will take the protestors a little bit seriously again.

You make change happen by doing something--not by standing on the corner yelling inaudibly at the drivers who whisk by with their windows rolled up.

I love our troops. I love that they're willing to die to protect our country. I just want them back where they belong, rather than in a nation that doesn't want our help and is willing to kill them to show us just how much we aren't wanted.

People, if you want them home, get off the corners and bring them home. If anyone where I'm at were to so organize, I'd be right there alongside them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home