Friday, November 12, 2004

Imagine this in your home town....

I was with my folks this week, sad but true, and I was reading about Fallujah and the military offensive there.

I looked up from my paper and I asked my mom if she could imagine the military taking over the place where she had her 'country home'. You see we were in New York City and I felt a better comparison of Fallujah was the small town of Ivorton, Conn. where she and my step dad have a home. I actually think that Fallujah would be somewhere in the middle, but nearer to Ivorton... BUT what I really was trying to do was picture this military action.

I know we are seeing pictures on TV of the military, but I wanted to try and UNDERSTAND what it would be like to be in a town and have an army attack the block by block- destroying buildings and getting to people.

I asked my mom if she could picture it, because I thought if she could- maybe she could help me understand it. I felt that we both were against the war but there's a difference between being against something and properly understanding it.

And even though she was against the war- she tried to tell me that it was somehow DIFFERENT because Fallujah was over run by terrorists. Now I read comics and watch cartoons so I've seen drawing of 'evil bases' but I really could not wrap my mind around the idea of a whole REAL town of evil people with a Taliban dentist and an Al-quida 'soccer' mom driving her kids to 'suicide bombing practice'.
Just like I can't picture all of the people on the Death Star to have earned their death( evil plumbers?), I can't imagine a terrorist town.

Fallujah was a town filled with people. Yes there might have been a lot of terrorists there, but imagine if the cops went block by block in NYC looking for crooks. I mean I figure out of the millions of people- thousands have got to have committed SOME crime.

How did all the 'innocent' people get out of Fallujah? And does our army know or care if the woman they shoot down is a member of Taliban, or just a mom looking for her kid.

I think that Saddam was evil- but I've already posted the link here pointing out over 14,000 innocent bystander Iraqis have died. Innocent people dead. With a verified number like that- how can we believe our military that Fallujah is filled with EVIL people who are asking for it...

I can't picture what the U.S. Army is doing in Iraq- because they're doing horrible stuff in the name of... what?
I don't think I'm safer for the Army destroying a town in Iraq... And I don't think the Iraqis are going to like us any more for destroying a small town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home