Wednesday, March 21, 2007

White House V. Congress( and S.C.?)?

[Forgive me if I get a little label happy; this is just filled with a lot of stuff about what’s going on]

I’m doing a little happy jig as I listen to the Stones: Satisfaction which seems to be so apropos. I’m happy because I JUST read that congress has approved the subpoenas for Rove and others. This is AFTER the White House was soo nice and willing to ALLOW Rove and others ‘talk’ to congress- provided that a) it was behind closed doors; so b) there would be no records of it and c) Rove et. Al. would NOT be under oath… thus Rove could lie or ‘misremember’ stuff and not worried about sharing a jail cell with Libby.

Now I should mention as I write this- that I re-read the article and congress seems just to have APPROVED (with a voice vote so no paper trail to see who voted how) the subpoenas… so they have NOT been issued. Likewise as it mentions in the linked article, the White House could fight this all the way up to the Supreme Court.

Now as I get into my two cents, I first want to say that I would find it interesting if the Supreme Court gets involved. Because when it comes down to it- they can either side with W. (who has given several of them jobs) or they can keep themselves relevant and powerful. See if they vote merely on party lines… not only does W. get to keep his secrets… but the Supreme Court ends up legally saying that the Executive Branch is more powerful then the other two… which has been W.’s argument since he took office. HE,W.= Decider.

My next thought on the subject is to include this link, also got from Huffingtonpost, (really I don’t know why I bother posting this stuff considering it’s out there already from sites I link to)… that W. is a spin master of the highest degree. It talks about the power of language and how W. chooses his words VERY carefully. I thought it was in fact funny how the Metro (a ‘local’ free paper) had an article mentioning how W. didn’t want a “fishing expedition”. Now my first thought is well- yeah that’s what the American people want. See the loud thumping sound W. heard after the mid-term election, was the American people wanting ACCOUNTIBILITY from their government. So if congress ends up asking Rove a bunch of questions- that’s because Rove has a bunch of things to answer for.

This leads me to my next point in the story and how the repugs are trying to frame it; which is the Repug idea that you should RESPECT the office of the White House, even if you don’t respect the PERSON. However under Clinton- they felt that he was sullying the office with his personal business. A perfect example is this link with a quote from Snow about the Repug congress trying to get to the bottom of what was going on in Clinton’s White House. I still get sick when I realize that when Clinton was in power- the Repugs wanted to question the SECRET SERVICE on record- to find out what Clinton was doing behind closed doors… but who Cheney talks to about Energy Policy is ‘state secrets”. The Repugs double standard really makes me sick. And here’s a link that shows that Tony Snow himself is full of doublethink.

This then leads to something I read in the Times yesterday. I'm linking to Media Matters as it's where I just found on the web (and thus linkable)... The Repugs complain that Schumer, a democrat, is politicizing the debate over the AG’s firings. This made me want to laugh or burn the newspaper yesterday. The Repugs, after years of making policy political and now being found to make job performance POLITICAL are annoyed because they think that Schumer is supposedly using this policy crisis to get money/clot for the DNC. Huh, did the Repugs complain when W. ‘high jacked’ the Abraham Lincoln for his mission accomplish picture. This picture (which W. would have used in his 2004 campaign had the war gone ‘right’), had them turn the carrier around (and made the ship two days late getting into port) so that the press would get ‘just the right picture’… and this POLITICAL picture- was bought and paid for by OUR tax dollars- not the RNC.


Lastly- as I mentioned Doublethink a bit above- I want to tie W as Spin Master with Coutlergist. See s/he recently talked about the anti Hillary ad and pointed out that after reading 1984, she’d never be able to vote DEMOCRAT… and I was like HUH?! As I feel that W.’s talking points and message massaging is much more Big Brother (Stay the Course, Turning the Corner, Fighting them there… ad nausem.) Could go on but think I did during my recent review of 1984.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home